- Many end investors back impact investing in principle, but few have moved to action
- UK regulation is driving impact investing up the agenda
- An expert view: impact investors can achieve commercial financial returns at scale
More than half (56%) of the UK population is interested in impact investing, but only 9% have done so. This is according to government research into why the country is failing to fulfil its potential as a force for financial good¹.
- https://thegiin.org/assets/GIIN_2019%20Annual%20Impact%20Investor%20Survey_webfile.pdf – Approximately 15% of respondents indicated meeting or exceeding both their impact and financial performance expectations, and just 2% and 9% of respondents, respectively, reported underperforming relative to their impact and financial performance expectations.
Actions to consider
- Question your product providers. Ensure you are clear on the responsible investment options on offer and that the providers themselves have a robust ESG investment approach.
- Be open and responsive to the growing number of clients who will come to view responsible investing as not just a priority, but as the norm.